The Women’s Auxiliary of Pioneers Memorial Hospital was first formed on May 29, 1950 by a group of community-minded women, primarily residing in the north-end of Imperial County. Their goal was to make Pioneers Memorial Hospital the best and most modern healthcare facility in the region.
The Auxiliary strongly believes it has accomplished its initial goal and continues to support PMH to ensure it remains the premiere hospital in the region focused on women’s health and pediatric care.
Since 1952 the Women’s Auxiliary has donated $1,206,709 for scholarships, medical equipment and furnishings for PMH and the Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District.
Recent gifts include five furnished birthing rooms in the Women’s Center, endoscopy video equipment and a bone density machine.
Along with the PMH Foundation, the Women’s Auxiliary has donated $50,000 toward the indoor aquatic therapy pool located in the physical therapy department at Pioneers Memorial Hospital. And most recently another $50,000 toward digital component upgrades to the Stereo Tactic Mammography equipment.
Each year the Auxiliary awards scholarship to students enrolled in the Imperial Valley College nursing program. As of 2010 the total contribution for scholarship is $296,000. All recipients are residents of the Imperial Valley.
The Women’s Auxiliary operates the Gift Shop with the profits donated to the various projects selected to support PMH. The gift shop is on the first floor of the hospital adjacent to the cafeteria.
The gift shop is the noted as the best boutique in the north-end of the County. In addition to the gift shop, the Auxiliary raises funds with two annual “Country Kitchen” bake sales. Many members of the Auxiliary are renowned cooks, and the bake sales are always a best seller in the Valley. They also sponsor other fundraising events each year.